First: Netiquette and safety are the two most important subjects you can teach students about using the internet. Good netiquette is appropriate behavior goes hand-in-hand with helping internet users feel safe. Students who feel safe and secure are unlikely to endanger security of others. Please read the attachment about netiquette.
Second: Teachers need to create accounts for their students. If you have a small number of students, you may create their accounts one at a time using a web-based form. If you have a large number of students, you may create their accounts by uploading a .csv file containing student username, password, first name, last name and email.
When creating student accounts:
- Please start your student IDs with s- so everyone will know they are students. To ensure their names are not duplicated, add a number at the end of their login name.
- Passwords need to be secure. DO NOT give each student the same password.
- Student firstname should include his/her first name and the first initial of his/her lastname. I.E. Jerry Smith is JerryS, if there is a second Jerry Smith he should be JerrySm.
- A student's last name should be his/her school name. I.E. Jerry Smith from Hayt School would be JerryS Hayt School. His login name might be jsmith204 or jsmith204hayt.
- Each student must have a unique email address, but, we don't want an official email address so, if your email address is email@example.com please make the students email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- NO commas anywhere in the file!
With the above in mind, open your class list and Excel to begin. Your spread sheet should look something like this:
Save your spread sheet as a DOS comma delimited file with a .csv extension.
To create student accounts:
- Navigate to the Start page by following the bread crumbs trail just below the Welcome to the iCollaboratory banner.
- When you are on the Start page, look for the Admin box on the right side of the page and select Users.
- Follow the links or the form to add student accounts individually or to upload many student accounts at a time using the Excel spreadsheet you just saved as a .csv file.
Note: If you do not see the Admin box on the Start page or have other questions about adding users, please email
(Edited by Jan Hackman - original submission Tuesday, 27 April 2010, 04:21 PM)